What Is Cloud Deployment Model?
A cloud deployment model is used to represent a specific cloud environment type, differentiated based on the type of users availing the cloud models.
The four common Cloud Deployment models are –
- Public Cloud
- Private Cloud
- Hybrid Cloud
- Community Cloud
What Is A Public Cloud?
Public cloud is a cloud environment retained by a third-party cloud provider that enables availability of resources such as applications, storage, virtual machines, etc., to the general public over the internet.
Some providers are Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud.
A public cloud being a fully virtualized environment provides services in a multi-tenant fashion. Each tenant’s data remains separated from other’s data.
Success of a public cloud depend on a high bandwidth network connectivity enabling quicker data transmission.
Some Major Feature Of Public Cloud –
- Cloud storage services
- Online software applications
- Cloud hosting and the list grows.
Benefits Of Public Cloud
- Scalability:On-demand availability of resources.
- Cost Effective:Expenditure reduced due to centralized management of resources.
- Reliability:Backup support enabled in case of failures.
- Flexibility: Offers all services such as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
- Location Independent: Services are enabled to consumers anywhere and anytime.
What Is Private Cloud?
Private cloud is also recognized as an internal cloud or corporate cloud. Typically built and owned within an organization and is a secured cloud-based environment accessible only for the organization.
Some Major Feature Of Private Cloud:
- Administration can be done either by an internal or by an outsourced staff.
- Same organization technically plays both the roles of cloud consumer and cloud provider.
Private cloud is most ideal for the organizations which require direct control over the environments to meet security and business compliance requirements.
Benefits Of Private Cloud
- Higher Security and Privacy: Achieved using access restrictions to connections made to resources.
- Legal Compliance: Can be deployed in accordance with any retention and access-control policies.
- Better Control:Since private cloud can be accessed only by a single organization, that organization will configure and manage it based on their needs.
What Is Hybrid Cloud?
Hybrid cloud environment is the combination of both private and public clouds. Some Organizations may be using a Hybrid cloud to deploy private clouds for critical workloads due to data security as well as business requirement and a public cloud to host less critical (or less sensitive) workloads.
An e-commerce website could be an ideal example. It can be hosted within a private cloud for better security, while its brochure site can be hosted within a public cloud for cost-effectiveness.
Some Major Feature Of Hybrid Cloud
If your organization desires to establish a hybrid cloud, it needs to ensure:
- Availability of a Public IaaS platform (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure).
- Availability of a private cloud (on-premises or through a private cloud provider).
- Ensure adequate WAN (wide area network) connectivity between the two cloud environments.
Typically, an organization selects for a public cloud for accessing compute instances, storage resources or other services like big data analytics and it must develop its own private cloud that is compatible with the public cloud.
What Is Community Cloud?
A community cloud is a multi-tenant platform allowing several groups with the same purpose to work on a single stage. A community cloud is a cloud service model that provides a cloud computing solution to a limited number of individuals or organizations that is governed, managed and secured commonly by all the participating organizations or a third-party managed service provider.
Some Major Feature Of Community Cloud
- Similar to a public cloud but with access restricted to a limited set of people.
- Owned jointly by the community members or by a third-party cloud provider.
- The community members typically own the responsibility for defining and evolving the cloud environment.
Community cloud is Suitable for joint ventures, research organizations.